Driving in circles: Why roundabouts really aren’t all that scary
What are you most afraid of? Snakes? Spiders? Heights? Driving in a roundabout?
Roundabouts are popping up all over Michigan, and navigating them can be intimidating and stressful for many people. But they’re really nothing to be afraid of! Here’s why. Roundabouts…
- Are safer than traditional intersections with traffic signals! Studies have shown a reduction in total crashes and serious injury/fatality crashes.
- Cause less congestion, reduce pollution and result in better fuel consumption.
- Improve pedestrian safety.
- Are less expensive than traffic signals.
So, how can you stay safe in a roundabout? Follow these tips:
- Slow down as you approach the roundabout, but don’t stop unless there isn’t a safe spot to enter.
- Only stop in the roundabout to avoid a collision.
- Look out for pedestrians.
- Use your turn signal when exiting.
- If you miss your exit, drive around again.
Driving in circles may seem counterintuitive, but sometimes it’s the best way to get from point A to point B. ‘Round into and ‘round we go!
NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS